We live in a global world. We’re part of a global church. We’re called to be part of God’s mission in the world.
To move forward as Christians and as global citizens, we need more opportunities for meaningful interaction with other Christians and other people around the world. At the Cambridge Centre for Christianity Worldwide, we believe that deep engagement and on-the-ground learning produces confident and creative Christians who will become leaders in God’s mission in a global world.
Our Intercultural Encounter programme offers bursaries that enable recipients to spend a sustained period of time in a Christian community in a culture other than their own. We encourage people to cross boundaries and barriers of all kinds, whether that be linguistic, socio-economic, geographic, or all of the above. In so doing, we learn more about God in Christ and more about one another.
Our Intercultural Encounter Scheme:
- Contributes funding to trips that are a minimum of four weeks long;
- Offers bursaries of up to £1000 and generally not more than two-thirds of the total cost of the trip;
- Supports trips that connect recipients with an active Christian community, and a named contact who is prepared to receive the bursary recipient;
- Has two application rounds per year, in January and May;
- Prefers those undertaking a placement on their own, rather than travelling in a group;
- Prioritises those lacking intercultural experience.
Are you eligible? Our bursaries are open to applicants who:
- Wish to gain a deeper understanding of Christianity worldwide;
- Are between the ages of 18 to 40 or a mature student;
- Have a Cambridge connection;
- Are willing to spend a minimum of four weeks in a Christian community in another culture;
- Can demonstrate a link with a local church or Mission Agency, and appropriate supervision during the placement;
- Attend an induction day before departure and a debriefing evening on return;
- Will write a concluding reflective report on their experiences.
For many applicants, the first step is contacting the Encounter coordinator to learn more about the programme and the application process.
About the International Encounter Coordinator
Heather grew up in Cambridge, and has recently returned to live here after four years away at Warwick University reading History.
She joined the Cambridge Centre for Christianity Worldwide in September 2017 and is looking forward to hearing about, and helping to facilitate, all your plans for encountering Christian communities across the world.
Heather’s interests include reading, History (particularly early modern British and religious), organising events, singing, baking and planning her upcoming wedding!
Working days: Tues, Wed, and Thurs, 1.30-4.30pm
You are most welcome to ring, email or drop in to the Centre for a cup of tea and a chat!
Intercultural Encounter recipients prepare for summer travels Seventeen Cambridge-area students are preparing to experience the life of a Christian community…
Students immersed in cross-cultural Christian contexts tell of transformative experiences Over the summer, the Cambridge Centre for Christianity Worldwide’s Intercultural…