Henry Martyn Trust History
The Henry Martyn Hall
The HM Hall is now leased by Holy Trinity Church, Cambridge.
For any queries regarding the hire of the Hall, please contact them.
The Henry Martyn Trust (HMT) was established in 1881, a time of great enthusiasm in Cambridge for overseas missions, by the vicar of Holy Trinity and previously a missionary to India. It first built the Henry Martyn Hall, in Market St, Cambridge (1887) as a meeting place for the promotion of mission. In 1897 an appeal was launched for a 'Proposed Missionary Library for Cambridge University', to be housed in the Hall.
The ambitious stated purpose of the Library was to 'give students access to the best material' and 'help build up a true sense of the importance of Missions in those who will afterwards hold the highest offices both in Church and State'.
In January 1992 the then HMT Director, now Mission Theologian in the Anglican Communion, Canon Graham Kings started the new post of Henry Martyn Lecturer in Missiology, (funded by the HMT) and expanded the Henry Martyn Library (HML) as a resource for the study of mission and world Christianity in Cambridge.
The HML moved, together with the office of the Lecturer, to Westminster College in 1995. On the centenary of the HML in October 1998, the HML formally became the Henry Martyn Centre.
Prof Sebastian Kim, now Chair in Theology and Public Life in the Faculty of Education & Theology at York St John University, UK, ran the Centre as interim director from 2000 to 2001.
Prof Brian Stanley, now Director of the Centre for the Study of World Christianity, University of Edinburgh was director from October 2001 until December 2008.
Dr Emma Wild-Wood took up the post in January 2009. From September 2014 Emma has taken a 2 year sabbatical to be the Lecturer for World Christianities at the Divinity Faculty, University of Cambridge. Dr Jesse Zink is currently the CCCW director.
In March 2014, the Henry Martyn Centre changed it's name to the Cambridge Centre for Christianity Worldwide (CCCW).
To find out more about Henry Martyn click here.