Study With Us

The Cambridge Centre for Christianity Worldwide sponsors, supervises, and enrolls students on two different doctoral degree programmes.

The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)

 A traditional research doctorate requiring a minimum of three years of full-time study. The student is required to submit a dissertation of 80,000 words that is examined by external and internal examiners. It is also possible to do this degree as a terminal Masters in Philosophy (M.Phil.), which is a one-year full-time degree and requires a shorter dissertation.

The Professional Doctorate (D.Prof.) in Practical Theology

 Designed for people who are currently in ministry and wish to study and reflect further on an aspect of their current practice. It is a part-time degree requiring a minimum of three years of part-time study. Students are required to submit three shorter exercises and then a dissertation of 60,000 words that is examined by external and internal examiners.

Both degrees are offered in conjunction with the Centre’s partners in the Cambridge Theological Federation and Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge. For either degree, the student has a supervisory team consisting of the Centre director and another academic in our network who has a subject-area speciality relevant to the student’s topic. Either degree can be done in a low-residency format, in which students spend only a portion of the year in Cambridge.

The Cambridge Theological Federation and Anglia Ruskin University have been working together for many years to sponsor and encourage theological education around the world. This long and distinguished partnership has produced many successful doctorates and we look forward to continued collaboration among our institutions in the service of scholars around the world.

Why Study at the Cambridge Centre for Christianity Worldwide?

  • A global city: Cambridge is one of the leading university cities in the world, with connections across the globe. Students in Cambridge have access to an immense array of talks, lectures, individuals, and resources that are available nowhere else.
  • The right degree: The research degrees offered by the CCCW, the Cambridge Theological Federation, and Anglia Ruskin University are responsive to the world, the church, and the reality of pastoral ministry. They allow students to dig deep into a topic of their choosing and make an important and original contribution to scholarship.
  • Low residency: Research degree students need not be resident in Cambridge for the entirety of their degree. This allows students to maintain close connections with their home communities and pastoral ministry.
  • Ecumenical formation: With our partners in the ecumenical Cambridge Theological Federation, students have an opportunity to learn with other students from a variety of traditions and around the world.
  • Serving the church: We believe that scholarship should serve the life of the church in the world. We want to encourage theologians, pastors, and lay people from around the world to deepen their knowledge so that they can better serve their people.

Frequently asked questions

  • How do I apply?

    In the first instance, prospective applicants should contact the director of the CCCW. This correspondence will help establish if the candidate’s proposed project is appropriate for the Centre to sponsor and also allows the candidate to learn more about the work of the Centre. Formal applications will then need to be made through the Anglia Ruskin application portal.

  • Who grants the degree?

    The research degrees are granted by Anglia Ruskin University, a leading research university in Cambridge, in cooperation with the Cambridge Theological Federation, the ecumenical group of which the CCCW is a member.

  • What are the requirements of the degree?

    In contrast to doctorates in North America, which often require extensive course work and comprehensive exams, doctoral programmes in the United Kingdom are more focused on the dissertation. For the Ph.D. degree, students must produce and successfully defend a dissertation of 80,000 words. For the D.Prof., students must produce 80,000 words but approximately 20,000 is done in three initial exercises that set the stage for the dissertation project. In both degrees, annual review and student monitoring meetings ensure that the student is making good progress towards an on-time completion.

  • How do I know if I should apply for the Doctor of Philosophy or the Professional Doctorate degree?

    This question is best answered in conversation with CCCW staff, who will be best placed to advise you. The answer will depend on the nature of your current work and the scope of your proposed project. The two degrees can cover a potentially wide range of material, from focused academic research projects to pastorally-minded subjects that respond to particular ministry contexts.

  • Who is my supervisor?

    Research students are supervised by a team of people who between them have collectively supervised a doctorate to completion and have subject-area expertise. In the case of CCCW students, the supervision team will generally involve the director, who maintains the administrative link with the Cambridge Theological Federation and Anglia Ruskin University, and a subject-area specialist drawn from our network of academics. It may also involve an academic from another member institution of the Federation or someone at an institution close to the student’s home.

  • How much does it cost?

    Fees are set by Anglia Ruskin University and are available at this link. In certain circumstances, bursaries are available. More information can be had in conversation with the CCCW director.

  • What about a visa?

    Students from outside the EU will need a visa to enter the United Kingdom. The particular type of visa depends on how much of the period of study the student intends to spend in the country. Whatever the decision, a cost will be associated with generating the necessary materials and applying for the visa. More information can be had in conversation with the CCCW director.

  • Where can I live while I am in Cambridge?

    Students in Cambridge live in many locations, including private apartments, colleges, and other houses. Westminster College, where the Cambridge Centre for Christianity Worldwide is located, offers Centre students their student rates during term time. Read more about accommodation options.